Trust Begins In The Mother's Womb

Yesterday, I was sharing with a couple that the first stage of trust begins inside the mother's womb. Not after birth, based upon current research in prenatal psychology. Inside the mother's womb, the fetus-child is already sensitive to the love of both mother and father even long before ...

Nov 11

Categories: Abortion, Parenting, Suicide Prevention

Written By:
Dr. Angelo Subida, Psychotherapist

GO

Introduction to Animal Assisted Therapy (AAT)

Animal Assisted Therapy (AAT) is a goal directed intervention whereby a trained animal is incorporated into the therapeutic process, promoting the improvement of human’s physical, social, emotional and/or cognitive functioning. 1AAT is a therapeutic tool that can be utilized in the ...

Mar 16

Categories: Adjusting to Change / Life Transitions, Anger Management, Anxiety, ...

Written By:
Maureen Huang, MSW, AASW

GO

The Compulsion To Repeat

As I write this, I'm in a fitness first gym taking drinks in the lounge area. The place is so pleasant with lots of wonderful facilities and staff. Yet when I'm on the treadmill or walking around thinking of seeking assistance, I'd sort of catastrophize: "What if the treadmill ...

Feb 10

Categories: Abuse / Abuse Survivor Issues, Child Development, Parenting

Written By:

GO

Alienated Parents, Alienated Children

Professionally and personally, my heart goes out to parents and children who have become heartbroken and "alienated" in their relationship. I am grateful to families - both parents and children - who have shared with me their painful experiences in our sessions together. They are just too ...

Aug 19

Categories: Abuse / Abuse Survivor Issues, Divorce / Divorce Adjustment, Parenting

Written By:

GO

Abused, Hurting Parents

Again this afternoon, like in many of my counseling sessions, a hurting Mom cried. She said, "My husband and I have invested much time and money on our son, and he's still violent and in alcoholism and drug addiction." This Mom's energy and hope are progressively being siphoned to ...

May 22

Categories: Abuse / Abuse Survivor Issues, Parenting, Teenage Issues

Written By:

GO

Problem Children, Problem Parents

Parenthood in our society is more an idea of how to “raise kids.” There are problem children, but not problem parents. Yet the truth and reality of the matter is, parenthood needs to be more the growth and development of parents.I’m reminded of a sobbing mother who came over ...

Feb 25

Categories: Child and/or Adolescent Issues, Family Problems, Parenting

Written By:

GO

The Abandoned Baby

Yesterday, an 8-year-old child, Gabrielle, was brought to me. When she was born, her biological father gave her away to a relative. From birth, her biological mother completely abandoned her and never appeared to her up to this day.A number of weeks ago, when Gabrielle found out that her caretakers ...

Jan 30

Categories: Abuse / Abuse Survivor Issues, Child Development, Parenting

Written By:

GO

Daddy, Daddy, can you play with me?

“Daddy, Daddy, can you play with me?” This sentence comes up every now and then from my two wonderful children, age 7 and 5.Both my children were born premature. I remembered when I first laid my eyes on my children; they seemed no bigger than the size of a kitten. Even though they ...

Jan 28

Categories: Adjusting to Change / Life Transitions, Child and/or Adolescent ...

GO

Healing The Parent-Teen Gap

When Dino came with his Mom to see me, I wasn't sure if he was going to get sick, tremble, or shout. He was frozen, unmovable. He refused to speak and looked like Rambo while glaring at his Mom. His eyes flashed a lot of anger while his Mom was telling me their story..The tears of his Mom laid ...

Jan 22

Categories: Family Problems, Parenting, Teenage Issues

Written By:

GO

The Disease of Self

I was sitting in a mall coffee shop. Suddenly, a man I’d met only a few times before approached my table. Across him, I watched his face contort as we conversed. Listening to his sighs and moans, he complained about lots of people who irritated him because they won’t meet his demands or ...

Dec 11

Categories: Adult psychological development, Attachment Issues, Parenting

Written By:

GO

Long Distance Parenting: Tips on Communicating Across the Miles

Parent-child relationships are challenging enough face-to-face. Even with proximity working for you, misunderstandings occur and tensions build up. How much more if you have several thousand miles between you? It's not easy to form and maintain attachments to people you don't see ...

Dec 11

Categories: Child Development, Parenting

Written By:
Kay Vardeleon

GO

Get your Relationship Ready to bring your baby home

Bringing a baby into a couple’s life is one of the biggest changes a couple will have to work out together.  Unfortunately couples grossly underestimate how much this tiny bundle of joy will change their individual lives and their relationships and as a result do not prepare for it. ...

Sep 11

Categories: Adjusting to Change / Life Transitions, Anxiety, Attachment Issues, ...

Written By:
Tammy M. Fontana, MS NCC CTRT Sex Therapist USA

GO

Speaking the Language of Love to our Children

Communicating with our child can be a big challenge. As parents you are trying to get our children to do what we think they need to do in order to become competent and capable adults. Often our children have ideas of their own. One reason this is really challenging is that it takes 25 years to ...

Sep 7

Categories: Attachment Issues, Blended Family Issues, Child and/or Adolescent ...

Written By:

GO

Demystifying the process of change in Counselling- How you get better

Counselling seems to be a pretty mysterious process for most people.  Unless things are REALLY bad, most people don’t think about counselling or think it’s too expensive or are just not sure how it works. Usually counselling is a last resort rather than a first stop for getting ...

Aug 25

Categories: Abuse / Abuse Survivor Issues, Addictions, Adjusting to Change / Life ...

Written By:

GO

How our Childhood Experiences affect our Adult Relationships

Our childhood teaches us how to relate to others. Adult romantic relationships rely on using the patterns of relating we learn in infancy. Counsellors are trained to help us to deal with complex psychological issues which are damaging to our close relationships. Therapeutic approaches like relationship counselling, draw on psychological ...

Jul 24

Categories: Communication Disorders Problems, Couple Counseling, Emotional ...

Written By:
Joanna Fishman

GO
Page(s)12345