P(r)epping!

Facing important examinations? Does it seem complicated? Is the milieu of the exam overwhelming or confusing? Do you have it all sorted out, but find the unwanted advice doled out by “well-wishers” pushing you to the edge? Do you find it hard to sift through sensible helpful suggestions and meaningless preaching from the pulpit?

Apr 25

Categories: Academic Issues, Adjusting to Change / Life Transitions, Executive ...

Written By:
Mini Nair

GO

Play versus academics and work

Annie was only 12, but she already felt burnt out ...

Apr 8

Categories: Anxiety, Caregiver Issues / Stress, Parenting, Relationships & ...

Written By:
Dr Monica Borschel

GO

How can I calm down my child?

The beauty of children is that they seem to be living in the moment.  They really feel their feelings and go all-in with the present.  The downside to this can be immense emotions ...

Mar 25

Categories: Anxiety, Child and/or Adolescent Issues, Child Development, Parenting

Written By:
Dr Monica Borschel

GO

I Inherited My Parents’ Heart

I didn’t grow up in a well-to-do family. I didn’t study in some elite school. Yet there is one thing I learned unconsciously from watching my parents: the “helper” spirit.

Dec 1

Categories: Parenting

Written By:
Dr. Martha Tara Lee

GO

The psychological symptoms of bullying

Lily was always a quiet and sensitive teen. She was compassionate and cared deeply for others. Her high empathy made her susceptible to falling into rescuer mode with others less fortunate than her.  Her new friend Ariane was popular ...

Nov 27

Categories: Abuse / Abuse Survivor Issues, Bullying, Parenting, Post Traumatic ...

Written By:
Dr Monica Borschel

GO

One Body Love Tip for Parents

Today, somebody complimented me on my eyes. It reminded me of my mom who repeatedly told me that I have almond-shaped eyes, and a melon-shaped face whenever I asked her anything about my looks. It wasn’t never expressed as a compliment, but as a fact.

Nov 24

Categories: Parenting

Written By:
Dr. Martha Tara Lee

GO

How can I explain death to my child?

Death is a difficult concept for adults to grasp, let alone children.  However, children as young as four can understand finality ...

Nov 14

Categories: Grief, Loss, Bereavement, Parenting

Written By:
Dr Monica Borschel

GO

My child is afraid of so many things

Anxiety is a normal emotion that helps to motivate us. Too much anxiety, however, can cause distress in the form of excessive worry, excessive drive to the point of exhaustion, panic and intense fear of failure and rejection. Children with anxiety ...

Nov 13

Categories: Anxiety, Parenting

Written By:
Dr Monica Borschel

GO

It’s not always a good idea to stay together for the children

David and Ann have been married for twelve years and have three children under the age of ten.  David works long hours and comes back home stressed and tired. David and Ann have frequent arguments, and David becomes physically and verbally abusive towards Ann and sometimes the children.  ...

Oct 14

Categories: Abuse / Abuse Survivor Issues, Divorce / Divorce Adjustment, Ending a ...

Written By:
Dr Monica Borschel

GO

Talking to Kids about Sex: An Age by Age Guide to Sex Education and ...

Originally published on Sassy Mama on 24 Sept 2019 When should you start talking to your kids about sex? And do you wait until they start asking ...

Oct 6

Categories: Child Development, Parenting, Sexual Problems / Sex Therapy

Written By:
Dr Oberdan Marianetti

GO

How can I set boundaries with my teenager?

Setting boundaries ...

Sep 18

Categories: Emotional Intelligence, Family Problems, Oppositional & Defiant ...

Written By:
Dr Monica Borschel

GO

How can I stay present with my family?

While commuting home, you realise that you still have unread emails and phone calls to make.  At the same time, you are wondering if the kids made it back from school and what you will have for dinner.  Earlier today, your client got upset, which in turn made your manager upset.  ...

Sep 11

Categories: Family Problems, Parenting, Relationships & Marriage

Written By:
Dr Monica Borschel

GO

Spare the Rod, Spoil the Child?

By Andrew Adler, Ph.D., Director and Clinical Psychologist,Adler Family Centre, Hong KongI have never met a parent who enjoy sees her child misbehave. Behaviours such as hitting and refusal to comply with simple requests almost always irritate and sometimes anger us as parents. We want our children to develop excellent self-control and grow up to ...

Aug 13

Categories: Child Development, Oppositional & Defiant Behavior in Children ...

Written By:
Andrew Adler, Ph.D.

GO

Parents and Teens: Who’s the Boss?

Ask a teenager raised in a Western culture about who’s the boss at home. More than likely, the response will be a confident “I am.” Ask the same question of one of the teenager’s parents and you are likely to hear a resigned “I wish I were.”Being a teenager and the parent of one poses considerable challenges. ...

Jul 11

Categories: Child and/or Adolescent Issues, Child Development, Parenting

Written By:
Andrew Adler, Ph.D.

GO

Young and Stressed Out in Hong Kong: Help Your Child Manage Stress ...

Hong Kong, like most international cities, is highly competitive and extremely fast paced. No one seems to know this better that parents. Our children are educated and socialized in an environment in which friends and classmates are highly focused on academic and social success. This environment is a breeding ground for high levels of ...

Jul 6

Categories: Child and/or Adolescent Issues, Parenting

Written By:
Andrew Adler, Ph.D.

GO
Page(s)12345