Turning your child against the other parent will backfire

Lila was a woman who did not believe in divorce.  ...

Jan 8

Categories: Divorce / Divorce Adjustment, Emotional Abuse, Ending a relationship ...

Written By:
Dr Monica Borschel

GO

I’m leaving my spouse; will my child be ok?

Riley had tried everything to work it out with her husband, Dave.  They had gone to couples counselling, and she had tried to be flexible with his needs.  It seemed like no matter how hard she tried; he wasn’t happy.  She felt anxious and trapped in her marriage.  As much ...

Jan 8

Categories: Child Development, Divorce / Divorce Adjustment, Grief, Loss, ...

Written By:
Dr Monica Borschel

GO

But I don’t want to break-up…

Sara had been unhappy in her relationship for the last six months.  Her boyfriend would stay out until six am in the morning and then come home drunk.  She was often afraid that something terrible had happened to him.  She would tell him her concerns, but he would dismiss her or yell ...

Jan 8

Categories: Adjusting to Change / Life Transitions, Divorce / Divorce Adjustment, ...

Written By:
Dr Monica Borschel

GO

Why does my divorce make me feel like my life is over?

Sherrie had just settled into her new flat without her husband.  The divorce was a civil one, and the financial settlement left both parties secure.  Despite having what she needed financially, she couldn’t shake the feeling of abandonment ...

Jan 8

Categories: Adjusting to Change / Life Transitions, Divorce / Divorce Adjustment, ...

Written By:
Dr Monica Borschel

GO

Counselling Children of Divorced Parents: Expressing Feelings

Although each child is unique, it should be noted that children tend to show several predictable responses upon learning that their parents are divorcing. Children in this situation most often experience varying degrees of sadness, despondency and anxiety among other related emotions. However, young children usually express feelings through though ...

Nov 3

Categories: Anxiety, Child and/or Adolescent Issues, Divorce / Divorce ...

Written By:
Andrew Adler, Ph.D.

GO

Till “death” do us part!

Really…now, this might just be one bubble that needs to be popped already.Marriage is a very personal affair. What works in one marriage may or may not work in another. The limits, the overstepping, the rights, the love are all personal and individual choices. There are laws that stipulate what may constitute legal and illegal behaviour/ ...

May 29

Categories: Adjusting to Change / Life Transitions, Adult psychological ...

Written By:
Mini Nair

GO

Keeping your relationship healthy when you’re both at home

People in Hong Kong have been feeling economic and relationship stress due to Coronavirus.  When couples are stressed, they might turn away from each other instead of towards each other.  Take, for example, the case of Alan and Cynthia.Alan is stressed because he works in sales and he ...

May 7

Categories: Divorce / Divorce Adjustment, Ending a relationship issues, ...

Written By:
Dr Monica Borschel

GO

The compassionate part of grief

When Zoie lost her mom, she felt ...

Feb 26

Categories: Depression, Divorce / Divorce Adjustment, Grief, Loss, Bereavement, ...

Written By:
Dr Monica Borschel

GO

It’s not always a good idea to stay together for the children

David and Ann have been married for twelve years and have three children under the age of ten.  David works long hours and comes back home stressed and tired. David and Ann have frequent arguments, and David becomes physically and verbally abusive towards Ann and sometimes the children.  ...

Oct 14

Categories: Abuse / Abuse Survivor Issues, Divorce / Divorce Adjustment, Ending a ...

Written By:
Dr Monica Borschel

GO

Conflict Management 101

Sometimes we might find ourselves in high-pressure situations with our spouse or co-workers, which can lead to heated arguments and conflict. When we feel under attack, it is easy to become defensive and want to counterattack. Here is a quick guide to managing conflict.The person you are in ...

Aug 5

Categories: Communication Disorders Problems, Divorce / Divorce Adjustment, ...

Written By:
Dr Monica Borschel

GO

What do I need to know about my psychological evaluation for custody?

Divorce is stressful.  It can be even more stressful if a judge court orders psychological evaluation for custody. The order usually happens in high conflict divorces where the divorcing parents are unable to agree about custody outside of court or in mediation.  Playing games with the psychologist, the court and the judge is a bad idea ...

Aug 5

Categories: Divorce / Divorce Adjustment

Written By:
Dr Monica Borschel

GO

Keeping your child secure during a divorce.

During a divorce, parents might experience intense emotions towards the other estranged parent. Often, unknowingly, one of the parents emotionally harms a child during and after the separation. For your child’s emotional and social well-being, it is essential that your child has a secure attachment to both parents. A secure attachment means ...

Jun 21

Categories: Adjusting to Change / Life Transitions, Attachment Issues, Child ...

Written By:
Dr Monica Borschel

GO

Getting through a break-up or divorce

Life can be especially lonely if you are going through a recent break-up or divorce.  Break-ups and divorce sometimes break our hearts and leave us feeling depressed or lonely. An unexpected or sudden break-up or divorce can be an end to our hopes and dreams for a future with our loved one. We might find ourselves having a difficult time ...

Jun 21

Categories: Adjusting to Change / Life Transitions, Attachment Issues, Divorce / ...

Written By:
Dr Monica Borschel

GO

Speaking To Your Child About Divorce

Divorce is a difficult situation for adults, let alone children and teenagers.  Parents who are separating might be experiencing their own grief, sadness and anxiety.  As the adult, it is important that you are able to be the secure base for your child or teenager during this time.  Children are intuitive and can sense the mood of ...

Jun 21

Categories: Child and/or Adolescent Issues, Child Development, Divorce / Divorce ...

Written By:
Dr Monica Borschel

GO
Page(s)123