How Journaling can Change your Life

Journaling is a way to improve your understanding of yourself. It provides a platform on which you can stand so that you can observe yourself. Self-knowledge, including discovering your strengths and weaknesses, your likes and dislikes is essential for making life decisions and for self-fulfilment. ...

Mar 5

Categories: Addictions, Adjusting to Change / Life Transitions, Life Purpose / ...

Written By:
Brian Scott

GO

An Introduction To Art Therapy: A Brief Guide to Art Therapy as an ...

An Introduction to Art Therapy: A Brief Guide to Art Therapy by Andrew Wright, Art Psychotherapist, based in Dubai, UAE.) Art Therapy is a well-developed profession in the US and the UK and is an approach that is used to help people of all ages.Art Therapy is the use of the creative arts ...

Feb 20

Categories: Abortion, Abuse / Abuse Survivor Issues, Addictions, Adjusting to ...

Written By:
Andrew C Wright HCPC registered (UK)

GO

Rebuilding After Affair Trauma

Susan has been cheated on by her husband. She is broken. It's so difficult for her to make it through each day. She struggles with finding energy to get out of bed each morning. Physically, she is very listless, trying to hold her self together. Her recurring post-affair memories and thoughts ...

Feb 18

Categories: Addictions, Couple Counseling, Infidelity

Written By:
Dr. Angelo Subida, Psychotherapist

GO

Healing Toxic Anger

Many people have habitual and uncontrollable anger. Their anger is selfish. It's an automatic response to things not going their way. It could involve rage, explosion of temper, shouting, verbal abuse, and physical violence.When I met Lito, he was easily enraged and quick to explode at his wife and children. In various situations, even with ...

Feb 13

Categories: Addictions, Aggression & Violence, Anger Management

Written By:

GO

Is Gestalt Therapy Ok?

Gestalt Therapy, one of today's popular psychotherapy approaches, is founded by psychotherapist Dr. Fritz Perls. The following well-known Gestalt prayer written by Dr. Perls in the 1960s captures the spirit of this therapeutic approach:"I do my thing and you do your thing, I am not in this ...

Feb 12

Categories: Addictions, Life Purpose / Meaning / Inner-Guidance, Strengths ...

Written By:

GO

Sexual Addiction As An Illness

Sexual addiction is an illness. It's solitary, dehumanizing, and satisfies only itself. Contrary to love, it's fleeting. It causes people to abuse their bodies. It distances us from our emotions, destroys good feelings about ourselves. It therefore causes people to be broken and alone.Dr. ...

Jan 18

Categories: Addictions, Adult psychological development, Sexual Problems / Sex ...

Written By:

GO

A First Step In Healing From Affairs

When I saw Tonton, a British doing business in the Philippines, he was severely hurt and depressed. He was in much tears. He had caught his wife cheating again over the internet and seeing the OP (other person). Along the way, he had somehow able to acknowledge to himself that his wife remained ...

Jan 8

Categories: Abuse / Abuse Survivor Issues, Addictions, Infidelity

Written By:

GO

Top 10 Psychology Articles in 2013

This new year, we look back at some of the topics and articles that resonated with our readers in 2013. Here are the 10 most read articles on Psychology Matters Asia.With clients who are dissatisfied with their lives and feel it is “all meaningless”, I have found it useful to ask ...

Jan 2

Categories: Addictions, Adjusting to Change / Life Transitions, Cognitive ...

Written By:
Psych Mat Asia Editor

GO

Who Is In Control: Shopping or You?

Many of us can go overboard when it comes to shopping. We see the magic word “sale” or there are special offers or we find a style we like and choose to buy it in multiple colors. Shopping compulsively can get out of hand and lead into remorse or guilt quickly.Impulse shopping can ...

Jan 1

Categories: Addictions, Compulsive Spending / Shopping

Written By:
Dr. Hana Ra Adams PsyD., MA, LMFT

GO

Two Natures and Psychotherapy

The other day, I had another television location shooting with GMA 7 for the beginning episode of Out of Control this coming new year 2014. The crew brought me to another "out of control" in the city - a 60-year-old woman who suffers from chronic nail biting (onychophagia). Lola Telia ...

Dec 28

Categories: Addictions, Adult psychological development, Obsessions & ...

Written By:

GO

Why Therapy Turns Empty

On various occasions, I've been excited when men who know they're addicted, dysfunctional, or immoral agreed to talk to me about inner healing. Yet each time I get disappointed by the outcome of our therapy and counseling sessions.One man who came to see me was an active religionist in the ...

Dec 2

Categories: Addictions, Adult psychological development, Emptiness

Written By:

GO

Thought-Stopping Techniques to Manage Cigarette Craving

One of the challenges of quitting smoking is dealing with the craving. The strong urge to smoke while abstaining is both physical and psychological; your body may already have developed a tolerance to nicotine, and you have adapted to the cigarette habit in your life. The longer you’ve been a ...

Oct 10

Categories: Addictions

Written By:
Kay Vardeleon

GO

Nothing Is As Healing As Human Touch

People do get addicted. And the reason why they can't just quit is because they get a kind of relief - temporarily. Turning to material, visible, or concrete things somehow work to make the pain of unmet needs go away. Unfortunately, they're not reliable. They change and we can know what to ...

Sep 9

Categories: Addictions, Adult psychological development, Antisocial personality

Written By:

GO

Demystifying the process of change in Counselling- How you get better

Counselling seems to be a pretty mysterious process for most people.  Unless things are REALLY bad, most people don’t think about counselling or think it’s too expensive or are just not sure how it works. Usually counselling is a last resort rather than a first stop for getting ...

Aug 25

Categories: Abuse / Abuse Survivor Issues, Addictions, Adjusting to Change / Life ...

Written By:
Tammy M. Fontana, MS NCC CTRT Sex Therapist USA

GO

Living A Life ... Or NonLife?

The first thing I noticed about Tom was his large frame and piercing eyes. He had come to call me on my mobile phone a few hours ago. And now, we were in a hotel, drinking coffee, and eventually past the pleasantries.He reached for the marrow of his purpose for meeting me. “I need help for ...

May 2

Categories: Addictions, Attachment Issues, Infidelity

Written By:

GO
Page(s)1234