The simple way to lead a meaningful life

Humanistic psychology is based on the belief that humans are unique beings and should be recognised and treated as such by psychologists and psychiatrists.According to humanistic psychologists, behaviourists are too concerned with the scientific study and analysis of actions (to the point that they ...

Mar 2

Categories: Adjusting to Change / Life Transitions, Anxiety, Depression, Positive ...

Written By:
Ahmer Zuberi

GO

Automatic pilot

As an intern in the emergency room, Joey was always on autopilot.  ...

Feb 19

Categories: Anxiety, Stress Management

Written By:
Dr Monica Borschel

GO

The many faces of PTSD

Johnathon was a high functioning hedge fund manager.  He was successful and seemed to be doing well in his life except for in his relationships.  As a child, his father would hit him, and he could never predict when the violence ...

Feb 17

Categories: Anger Management, Anxiety, Complex PTSD, Depression, Post Traumatic ...

Written By:
Dr Monica Borschel

GO

The harm in not feeling good enough

When people feel like they are not good enough, they harm themselves inadvertently.  This harm can look like not taking care of their hygiene ...

Jan 30

Categories: Abuse / Abuse Survivor Issues, Anxiety, Depression, Ending a ...

Written By:
Dr Monica Borschel

GO

The Opportunity in Struggle

Life is unpredictable, which can be both scary and exciting. Due to this unpredictability, we might find ourselves in situations we don’t want to be in, and we might struggle to find the way out.Take, for example, the case of Mary. Mary left the United States to move to Hong Kong because her ...

Jan 30

Categories: Adjusting to Change / Life Transitions, Anxiety, Life Purpose / ...

Written By:
Dr Monica Borschel

GO

The art of psychological flexibility

Max has a constant desire to be in control.  When he is not in control, he does not feel safe.  Because of this need to be in control, Max can be quite rigid.  This rigidity has taken a toll on his relationships, both personally and professionally. Others have become angry ...

Nov 13

Categories: Adjusting to Change / Life Transitions, Anxiety, Life Purpose / ...

Written By:
Dr Monica Borschel

GO

My child is afraid of so many things

Anxiety is a normal emotion that helps to motivate us. Too much anxiety, however, can cause distress in the form of excessive worry, excessive drive to the point of exhaustion, panic and intense fear of failure and rejection. Children with anxiety ...

Nov 13

Categories: Anxiety, Parenting

Written By:
Dr Monica Borschel

GO

I am always afraid that people are going to leave me

Max grew up as an only child with a single mother.  Max’s father left his mother before he was born.  Because of this, his mother had to work long hours to provide for both of them.  He often felt like he had to protect her, and that she was unable to be there for him ...

Oct 16

Categories: Abuse / Abuse Survivor Issues, Anxiety, Post Traumatic Stress ...

Written By:
Dr Monica Borschel

GO

What if people are judging me?

The worry of what others think ...

Oct 14

Categories: Anxiety, Relationships & Marriage, Social Anxiety / Phobia, ...

Written By:
Dr Monica Borschel

GO

Taming Your Child’s Test Anxiety

The dropping temperatures may be an unwelcome sign that winter is almost here. The increased anxiety that many kids feel this time of year is a definite sign that tests and exams are not far off. What can you do as a parent to tame your child’s test anxiety?Perhaps the most important strategies your child can develop are to improve study ...

Sep 27

Categories: Anxiety, Child and/or Adolescent Issues

Written By:
Andrew Adler, Ph.D.

GO

Do I really need to love myself before I can find love?

For the most part, people would like to find a healthy and loving relationship.  People who have had complicated relationships in the past might be confused about what a healthy relationship is.  As they are searching for love, friends and family might say things like, “you have to ...

Sep 4

Categories: Anxiety, Attachment Issues, Relationships & Marriage

Written By:
Dr Monica Borschel

GO

Why do I feel like I am suffocating around my parents?

From time to time, an adult will seek my help because they feel like they can’t breathe around their parents.  The feeling of not being able to breathe could be from anxiety or panic.  Sometimes, we hold our breath without thinking when we are waiting for something to happen, when ...

Aug 28

Categories: Abuse / Abuse Survivor Issues, Anxiety, Emotional Abuse, Emotional ...

Written By:
Dr Monica Borschel

GO

The Benefits of Stress: Finding the Optimal Level

“I’m stressed!” When you hear these words, you probably imagine the many situations in life when you have felt stressed or nervous. The reality is that most of us wish stress would just disappear as it often leads to intense emotional pain. Let’s look at stress from another perspective, however. It may seem ...

Aug 20

Categories: Anxiety, Happiness, Stress Management

Written By:
Andrew Adler, Ph.D.

GO

My last relationship was abusive, and now, I struggle to feel safe in ...

After being abused by someone you thought you could trust ...

Aug 7

Categories: Abuse / Abuse Survivor Issues, Anxiety, Emotional Abuse, ...

Written By:
Dr Monica Borschel

GO
Page(s)123456