I am always afraid that people are going to leave me

Max grew up as an only child with a single mother.  Max’s father left his mother before he was born.  Because of this, his mother had to work long hours to provide for both of them.  He often felt like he had to protect her, and that she was unable to be there for him ...

Oct 16

Categories: Abuse / Abuse Survivor Issues, Anxiety, Post Traumatic Stress ...

Written By:
Dr Monica Borschel

GO

It’s not always a good idea to stay together for the children

David and Ann have been married for twelve years and have three children under the age of ten.  David works long hours and comes back home stressed and tired. David and Ann have frequent arguments, and David becomes physically and verbally abusive towards Ann and sometimes the children.  ...

Oct 14

Categories: Abuse / Abuse Survivor Issues, Divorce / Divorce Adjustment, Ending a ...

Written By:
Dr Monica Borschel

GO

What it feels like to have PTSD

Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder feels like you are in constant survival mode.  There are days when the darkness overcomes you, but you’re not sure why.  Your muscles are often sore and tense because they are preparing for fight or flight.  You feel paranoid that something wrong ...

Sep 25

Categories: Post Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD) / Trauma / Complex PTSD

Written By:
Dr Monica Borschel

GO

How can I help my partner overcome past abuse?

If you are in a relationship with someone who has been abused, it can be confusing and sometimes frustrating.  If the person has not been able to resolve the abuse in their mind, they might act in ways that push you away. They might lash out when they are feeling anxious, accuse you of things ...

Aug 17

Categories: Abuse / Abuse Survivor Issues, Post Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD) ...

Written By:
Dr Monica Borschel

GO

Helping Your Young Child Cope with Fright in Hong Kong

By Andrew Adler, Ph.D., Director and Clinical Psychologist,Adler Family Centre, Hong KongRecent news in Hong Kong may have confused and frightened many of our children. As adults, it’s a challenge for many of us to remain calm after seeing videos and photos of, hearing about and even witnessing these events. Imagine how our children, ...

Aug 6

Categories: Anxiety, Child Development, Post Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD) / ...

Written By:
Andrew Adler, Ph.D.

GO

Will it ever get any better?

Life includes a certain amount of suffering. Some of the sufferings include rejection, failure, loss and trauma.  When we are going through a difficult time, it can be hard to see the light. When we are depressed or sad, we can only remember the depressed or sad times.  It can be ...

Aug 5

Categories: Abuse / Abuse Survivor Issues, Anxiety, Depression, Emotional ...

Written By:
Dr Monica Borschel

GO

What resilience is and isn’t

People often confuse resilience with “being tough” or “toughing it out.” A misconception is that you either have resilience, or you don’t. ...

Aug 5

Categories: Adjusting to Change / Life Transitions, Anxiety, Post Traumatic ...

Written By:
Dr Monica Borschel

GO

One Psychotherapy Moment Stands Out

One moment in psychotherapy stands out for me: when tears fall from the eyes of a wounded patient.

Mar 30

Categories: Addictions, Post Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD) / Trauma / Complex ...

Written By:
Dr. Angelo Subida, Psychotherapist

GO

Why Counselling Is So Important For People With Trauma

Experiencing a traumatic event can take its toll not only on your physical well-being but on your mental state as well. Trauma is an emotional response that occurs after witnessing or going through overwhelming situations, such as a natural disaster, accidents, or war. Counselling is a useful tool to help patients heal and overcome the hurdles ...

Mar 8

GO

Understanding Trauma

Trauma occurs when an accident, abuse, loss or something unpredictable causes us to feel emotions such as intense fear, shock, denial and distress. For the most part, people might have trauma reactions such as nightmares, hypervigilance or physical symptoms after a tragic or dangerous event that heals by itself after a short period. However, ...

Jun 21

Categories: Abuse / Abuse Survivor Issues, Adult psychological development, ...

Written By:
Dr Monica Borschel

GO

How Can I Be Responsible When I'm One Abused?

You may ask, “How can I be responsible when I’m the one abused, hurt, or ‘sinned against’?”

Dec 3

Categories: Abuse / Abuse Survivor Issues, Adjusting to Change / Life ...

Written By:
Dr. Angelo Subida, Psychotherapist

GO

Trauma, a Psychoanalytical Approach

Central to the psychoanalytic view is that trauma always involves loss. The loss can be actual, like a loss of a loved person or symbolic, like loss of hope, country or identity.  When one is caught up in a 'traumatic event' or situation, unresolved pains and conflicts of childhood get ...

Sep 9

Written By:
Dr. Ruth Manasseh D.Psych.Psych.

GO
Page(s)12