Distinguishing Grief and Depression

When we lose someone through death, it is common for grief, sadness, anger or anxiety to appear sometimes. While these mood issues might seem like depression, the experience of grief is quite different. Grief is precipitated by distress over the loss of another e.g. death. Generally people could go ...

Dec 1

Categories: Depression, Grief, Loss, Bereavement

GO

Introduction to Animal Assisted Therapy (AAT)

Animal Assisted Therapy (AAT) is a goal directed intervention whereby a trained animal is incorporated into the therapeutic process, promoting the improvement of human’s physical, social, emotional and/or cognitive functioning. 1AAT is a therapeutic tool that can be utilized in the ...

Mar 16

Categories: Adjusting to Change / Life Transitions, Anger Management, Anxiety, ...

Written By:
Maureen Huang, MSW, AASW

GO

Loneliness: What You Need

Several months ago, a British man came to see me with his Filipina wife. There I felt the heaviest weights their hearts can endure. After being shown indisputable evidences of her affair with a younger man, the wife hurriedly walked out. Tears flowing from his eyes as a flooding river in the night, ...

Sep 16

Categories: Ending a relationship issues, Grief, Loss, Bereavement, Infidelity

Written By:
Dr. Angelo Subida, Psychotherapist

GO

Understanding What’s Happening After You Lose a Child

When we lose a child, a dense cloud of emotions can enfold us as we enter into grief. No one enters grief in the same way or experiences emotions in a predictable fashion. But know that you are not alone as you try to make sense of what is happening to you and your family. What you are feeling and thinking is normal after the loss of your ...

Jul 7

Categories: Bereavement, Grief, Loss, Bereavement, Miscarriage

Written By:
Dr. Hana Ra Adams PsyD., MA, LMFT

GO

Self-Compassion: Holding Your Self Kindly

He didn't see it coming. Around the last rounds of a singing reality contest on TV, I watched Lito so focused and reality was treating him well. The coaches were picking and advancing him. Then, reality slap came in. He was removed from advancing to the semi-final round.Lito saw me right after ...

Jun 25

Categories: Depression, Grief, Loss, Bereavement, Self-Care / Self Compassion

Written By:

GO

Grieving: How do you cope with loss?

Grieving is painful, and not only for the person grieving, but for the griever's loved ones, family and friends.  Unfortunately in modern society with its emphasis on speed and efficiency, some well-intentioned individuals who otherwise sympathize with the grieving person, may ...

May 8

Categories: Depression, Grief, Loss, Bereavement

Written By:
Brian Scott

GO

Does Short-Term Relief Work?

Short term relief does not last. It can in fact become a separate psychological issue unto itself.When John saw me for help, he has been under psychiatric treatment for over 10 years. Despite the length of his treatment, he remained "stuck" within himself - psychologically, emotionally, ...

Apr 1

Categories: Addictions, Emptiness, Grief, Loss, Bereavement

Written By:

GO

How does one cope with ambiguous loss? The case of the disappeared ...

The continuing confusion and lack of definitive information about the whereabouts of Malaysian Airline MH370 for over two weeks (when this post is written), has focused the world's attention on the suffering of the family and friends of the 239 missing passengers. It is difficult to even ...

Mar 24

Categories: Grief, Loss, Bereavement, Support Groups

Written By:
Brian Scott

GO

Infidelity, Cheating, Betrayal...now What?

No one gets a user manual on what to once an infidelity, as defined by one or both parties is discovered. Here are some things people need to consider before making any decision. What is infidelity? This may reveal value differences in a couple and highlight how little time a couple spent ...

Oct 13

Categories: Couple Counseling, Divorce / Divorce Adjustment, Emptiness, Ending a ...

Written By:
Tammy M. Fontana, MS NCC CTRT Sex Therapist USA

GO

Solving Problems Creatively Part 2: Art Therapy with young people

Art Therapy with young people In Solving Problems Creatively Part 1, I explored how the creative process can solve problems. In Part 2, I will illustrate how symbols, depicted in art therapy, can be metaphors to express feelings and difficult experiences.Art Therapy in practice: Children and ...

Sep 19

Categories: Abuse / Abuse Survivor Issues, Adjusting to Change / Life ...

Written By:
Andrew C Wright (AthR), HCPC registered (UK), BAAT (UK).

GO

Solving Problems Creatively: Part 1 Image, Symbol and Metaphor

Image, Symbol and MetaphorImagine you have a problem that you cannot solve. You feel like you have a mental block. Your brain is tying itself in knots, it’s frustrating as you feel stuck. You cannot stand it no longer so you go for a walk. As your mind wanders you start to relax. Suddenly a ...

Sep 18

Categories: Career Development and Change, Creative Blocks, Emotional ...

Written By:
Andrew C Wright (AthR), HCPC registered (UK), BAAT (UK).

GO

Counselling for Infidelity and Cheating in a Marriage

Counselling for Cheating or Infidelity in a Marriage Relationships can and do recover from marrital cheating and they can go on to survive and thrive. However the journey to a great marriage after learning about infidelity is a challenging path. There are several stages that married couples must ...

Aug 25

Categories: Adjusting to Change / Life Transitions, Adult psychological ...

Written By:
Tammy M. Fontana, MS NCC CTRT Sex Therapist USA

GO

Do You Cry in Public or in Private?

“If you've never eaten while crying you don’t know what life tastes like.” I came across this saying by Johann Wolfgang Von Goethe the other day and thought that it would be a nice starting point to talk about the subject of crying. It’s not that Goethe cried a lot; ...

Jul 13

Categories: Empathy, Grief, Loss, Bereavement

Written By:
Tony Brown

GO
Page(s)1