Top 10 Psychology Articles in 2013

This new year, we look back at some of the topics and articles that resonated with our readers in 2013. Here are the 10 most read articles on Psychology Matters Asia.With clients who are dissatisfied with their lives and feel it is “all meaningless”, I have found it useful to ask ...

Jan 2

Categories: Addictions, Adjusting to Change / Life Transitions, Cognitive ...

Written By:
Psych Mat Asia Editor

GO

Who Is In Control: Shopping or You?

Many of us can go overboard when it comes to shopping. We see the magic word “sale” or there are special offers or we find a style we like and choose to buy it in multiple colors. Shopping compulsively can get out of hand and lead into remorse or guilt quickly.Impulse shopping can ...

Jan 1

Categories: Addictions, Compulsive Spending / Shopping

Written By:
Dr. Hana Ra Adams PsyD., MA, LMFT

GO

Two Natures and Psychotherapy

The other day, I had another television location shooting with GMA 7 for the beginning episode of Out of Control this coming new year 2014. The crew brought me to another "out of control" in the city - a 60-year-old woman who suffers from chronic nail biting (onychophagia). Lola Telia ...

Dec 28

Categories: Addictions, Adult psychological development, Obsessions & ...

Written By:
Dr. Angelo Subida, Psychotherapist

GO

Why Therapy Turns Empty

On various occasions, I've been excited when men who know they're addicted, dysfunctional, or immoral agreed to talk to me about inner healing. Yet each time I get disappointed by the outcome of our therapy and counseling sessions.One man who came to see me was an active religionist in the ...

Dec 2

Categories: Addictions, Adult psychological development, Emptiness

Written By:

GO

Thought-Stopping Techniques to Manage Cigarette Craving

One of the challenges of quitting smoking is dealing with the craving. The strong urge to smoke while abstaining is both physical and psychological; your body may already have developed a tolerance to nicotine, and you have adapted to the cigarette habit in your life. The longer you’ve been a ...

Oct 10

Categories: Addictions

Written By:
Kay Vardeleon

GO

Nothing Is As Healing As Human Touch

People do get addicted. And the reason why they can't just quit is because they get a kind of relief - temporarily. Turning to material, visible, or concrete things somehow work to make the pain of unmet needs go away. Unfortunately, they're not reliable. They change and we can know what to ...

Sep 9

Categories: Addictions, Adult psychological development, Antisocial personality

Written By:

GO

Demystifying the process of change in Counselling- How you get better

Counselling seems to be a pretty mysterious process for most people.  Unless things are REALLY bad, most people don’t think about counselling or think it’s too expensive or are just not sure how it works. Usually counselling is a last resort rather than a first stop for getting ...

Aug 25

Categories: Abuse / Abuse Survivor Issues, Addictions, Adjusting to Change / Life ...

Written By:
Tammy M. Fontana, MS NCC CTRT Sex Therapist USA

GO

Living A Life ... Or NonLife?

The first thing I noticed about Tom was his large frame and piercing eyes. He had come to call me on my mobile phone a few hours ago. And now, we were in a hotel, drinking coffee, and eventually past the pleasantries.He reached for the marrow of his purpose for meeting me. “I need help for ...

May 2

Categories: Addictions, Attachment Issues, Infidelity

Written By:

GO

What It Takes To Heal

Healing can happen only in a climate of openness and truth.This is the tragedy of Mina. Mina was caught in adultery, one which traumatized her husband. Her need to deny or "stonewall" her wrongdoing prevented her personal, marital, and family healing. What's her primary wound? I ...

Apr 22

Categories: Addictions, Attachment Issues, Couple Counseling

Written By:

GO

Family Therapy in Addictions Work

I would like to offer my observations and recommendations based on my work in Singapore between 2005 and 2011 in the field of addictions. To summarize:   I just finished reading a superb article by Timothy Sim on family therapy in Singapore1. He captures it all. It brought me back to many ...

Jan 10

Categories: Addictions, Compulsive Spending / Shopping, Drug Addiction, Eating ...

Written By:
Marjorie Nixon LCSW

GO

4 most common classes of Mental illness and their prevalence

What is our risk of developing a mental illness over the course of our entire lives and which types of mental illnesses are we most likely to develop? These questions are not just academic in nature because the answers are of great practical importance to all of us. We need this information if we ...

Mar 13

Categories: Addictions, Inattention, Impulsivity, & Hyperactivity (ADHD), ...

Written By:
Psych Mat Asia Editor

GO
Page(s)123