Self and Entitlement Mindset

Do you have an entitled self? What I mean is, one suffering from a ...

Feb 8

Categories: Abortion, Addictions, Personality problems, Self-Esteem

Written By:
Dr. Angelo Subida, Psychotherapist

GO

Christmas Materialism and Mental Health

This morning, as I was sipping my brewed coffee, I read a Christmas comment of Pope Francis (a psychologist himself) of the world's 1.2  billion Catholics. He remarked and decried that Christmas has always been "taken hostage" by dazzling materialism that puts God in the shadows. ...

Dec 27

Categories: Abortion, Addictions, Adjusting to Change / Life Transitions, ...

Written By:

GO

The Therapy of Kindness

I’m reminded of Aldous Huxley, a noted writer-philosopher. He was dying. At his deathbed, he was asked what words and wisdom he would like to tell and leave to the world. He replied, “I wish people would be kinder to each other.”What does “kindness” mean? Here’s ...

Sep 27

Categories: Abuse / Abuse Survivor Issues, Addictions, Marital Counseling

Written By:

GO

How Values Heal Addiction

Contrary to claims of traditional treatment centers, simply admitting addiction and abstaining do little in themselves. It’s crucial that you know your values, what’s really important to you, for significant life change to happen.A 50-year-old married patient, Orlando, for example, was ...

Jul 16

Categories: Addictions, Adjusting to Change / Life Transitions, Values ...

Written By:

GO

Can I Be Cured?

"There is no incurable illness, only incurable people.” That’s Dr. Bernie Siegel in his book “Love, Medicine, & Miracles,” with a subtitle “lessons learned about self-healing from a surgeon’s experience with exceptional patients.”That statement ...

Jun 1

Categories: Abuse / Abuse Survivor Issues, Addictions, Relationships & ...

Written By:

GO

You're an Addict, Too

Picture this: someone walks up to you today and, quite matter-of-factly, informs you, “You’re an addict.”How would you react? You might recoil and bristle in indignation. You might wonder at the sanity of this person, and not without reason either. Why, you hardly drink at all ...

Jan 20

Categories: Addictions, Drug Addiction, Gambling Addiction, Love addiction

Written By:
Maryann Wei

GO

How Well Do You Know Your Self?

In the Dialogues of Plato, we read, "For self-knowledge would certainly be maintained by me to be the very essence of knowledge, and in this I agree with him who dedicated the inscription 'Know Thyself!' at Delphi."What does it take to know your self? It is to see and realize your ...

Sep 30

Categories: Addictions, Depression, Self-Esteem

Written By:

GO

Healing In Routine

When recovering from illness or breakdown, it can be easy to feel bored by routine. Since one is developing new healthy habits to heal, one may feel trapped at a certain point. This is especially so when healing gets routine and a voice within protests against changing.Professionally and ...

Aug 30

Categories: Addictions, Adjusting to Change / Life Transitions, Life Purpose / ...

Written By:

GO

Increased mortality rate in ADHD: effect of age when diagnosed and ...

A study just published online in the prestigious medical journal Lancet (Dalsgaard et al, 2015) has for first time obtained substantive evidence of an increased mortality rate in persons with attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD). The study by Dalsgaard and his colleagues at Aarhus ...

Apr 2

Categories: Addictions, Adult ADHD, Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder ...

Written By:
Brian Scott

GO

Society and Psychopathology

Let me tell you something that might sound radical to you: we all live in an "addicted society." Society contributes a huge part into the corruption, dysfunction, or breakdown of individuals and families in our world. Would that be so difficult for you to grasp?One time, I was speaking to ...

Jul 14

Categories: Abuse / Abuse Survivor Issues, Addictions, Spirituality

Written By:

GO

Do You Have "Betrayal Blindness?"

One time, Mary saw me for counseling. She just checked her husband's emails and social media accounts. To her shock, she discovered that her husband has been having secret multiple sexual relationships with various men in all their 20 years of marriage. Her husband is a gay sex ...

Jul 4

Categories: Addictions, Dependency Problems, Marital Counseling

Written By:

GO

What to do if you are in an intimate relationship with someone who ...

I quite frequently receive heartbreaking requests from individuals who are in a painful relationship or marriage in which their mate is suffering from some kind of serious psychological problem such as alcoholism, gambling addiction etc.  Often these  individuals are isolated and confused ...

Jun 17

Categories: Addictions, Family Problems, Mental Health in Asia, Relationships ...

Written By:
Brian Scott

GO

First Steps In Infidelity Treatment

When I saw Tonton, he was severely hurt, depressed, and breaking down. He was in much tears. He just caught his wife cheating again over the internet and seeing the OP (other person).Along the way, he was able to check reality and acknowledge to himself that his wife remained unrepentant of her ...

Jun 7

Categories: Addictions, Ending a relationship issues, Relationships & Marriage

Written By:

GO

Do I have a drinking problem? Am I an alcoholic? What is the ...

People drink for all sorts of reason. Some reasons are to socialize, celebrate and relax. Other times people use alcohol as a form of self-medication to help them manage stress, anxiety or to use it to distract them from unpleasant or unhappy situations in their life.Alcohol has a strong effect on ...

Apr 2

Categories: Addictions, Couple Counseling, Men's Issues, Women's Issues, ...

Written By:
Tammy M. Fontana, MS NCC CTRT Sex Therapist USA

GO

Does Short-Term Relief Work?

Short term relief does not last. It can in fact become a separate psychological issue unto itself.When John saw me for help, he has been under psychiatric treatment for over 10 years. Despite the length of his treatment, he remained "stuck" within himself - psychologically, emotionally, ...

Apr 1

Categories: Addictions, Emptiness, Grief, Loss, Bereavement

Written By:

GO
Page(s)1234