Rethinking Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Diagnosis in ...

Recent research suggests a radical new conceptualization of ADHD: Do you have subclinical ADHD and are you receiving appropriate treatment?ADHD (attention-deficit/hyperactivity disorder) is a condition characterized by problems with attention and/or hyperactivity and impulsivity. ADHD has been ...

Jul 31

Categories: Adult ADHD, Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD), Child ...

Written By:
Brian Scott

GO

What Makes a “Broken” Family Broken?

The metaphor of an iceberg architecture has been widely used across both popular and academic literature, perhaps most dominantly in two areas: to represent the layers of culture (and hence “hidden” culture), as well as in Freudian terms, to describe the conscious and unconscious ...

Nov 12

Categories: Blended Family Issues, Child and/or Adolescent Issues, Child ...

Written By:
Maryann Wei

GO

ASK THE EXPERT: UNDERSTANDING ADHD

In a recent meeting of SEN professionals I was asked to host one of the six round table discussions.  The topic I chose was ADHD in the classroom and how to manage it. I was astounded to see that three quarters of the group joined me to discuss that particular topic, demonstrating that it is ...

Nov 3

Categories: Adult ADHD, Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD), Child ...

GO

The Compulsion To Repeat

As I write this, I'm in a fitness first gym taking drinks in the lounge area. The place is so pleasant with lots of wonderful facilities and staff. Yet when I'm on the treadmill or walking around thinking of seeking assistance, I'd sort of catastrophize: "What if the treadmill ...

Feb 10

Categories: Abuse / Abuse Survivor Issues, Child Development, Parenting

Written By:
Dr. Angelo Subida, Psychotherapist

GO

Speech Development

Children start practicing their speech sounds by babbling when they are very young and this process will continue for the next few years of their lives! It is quite normal for children’s speech intelligibility to be limited when they are very young but as they grow older their ...

Jun 20

Categories: Academic Issues, Child and/or Adolescent Issues, Child Development

Written By:
Dynamics Speech Pte Ltd

GO

'The times are a changing'. How Art Therapy Can Help Children And ...

"The times are a changing" is a Bob Dylan anthem about change and going through change is an important part of everyone's development.Do we choose to reject it and build walls around us or do we embrace and use the wind of change such as in the Chinese proverb above.Going through ...

Mar 15

Categories: Academic Issues, Adjusting to Change / Life Transitions, Art Therapy, ...

Written By:
Andrew C Wright (AthR), HCPC registered (UK), BAAT (UK).

GO

An Introduction To Art Therapy: A Brief Guide to Art Therapy as an ...

An Introduction to Art Therapy: A Brief Guide to Art Therapy by Andrew Wright, Clinical Director and Art Psychotherapist, ATIC (1ST Art Therapy Centre in Dubai, UAE.) Art Therapy is a well developed profession in the US and the UK and is an approach that is used to help people of all ages.

Feb 20

Categories: Abortion, Abuse / Abuse Survivor Issues, Addictions, Adjusting to ...

Written By:
Andrew C Wright (AthR), HCPC registered (UK), BAAT (UK).

GO

The Abandoned Baby

Yesterday, an 8-year-old child, Gabrielle, was brought to me. When she was born, her biological father gave her away to a relative. From birth, her biological mother completely abandoned her and never appeared to her up to this day.A number of weeks ago, when Gabrielle found out that her caretakers ...

Jan 30

Categories: Abuse / Abuse Survivor Issues, Child Development, Parenting

Written By:
Dr. Angelo Subida, Psychotherapist

GO

Codependence recovery: Information about therapeutic Workshops for ...

One of the many ways, but a critically important way, that people recover from codependency is by attending therapeutic workshops given by experts in the field and designed to help the recovery process.  In this post I will share with you the names of some of these experts and the website ...

Jan 11

Categories: Child Development, Codependency / Dependency, Self help groups

Written By:
Brian Scott

GO

Long Distance Parenting: Tips on Communicating Across the Miles

Parent-child relationships are challenging enough face-to-face. Even with proximity working for you, misunderstandings occur and tensions build up. How much more if you have several thousand miles between you? It's not easy to form and maintain attachments to people you don't see ...

Dec 11

Categories: Child Development, Parenting

Written By:
Kay Vardeleon

GO

Can TV and too much exposure to electronic devices be detrimental to ...

Dr. Louise McCauley - Educational PsychologistAs a psychologist, I often get asked by parents and teachers whether there are any negative impacts on children who are exposed to digital media and new digital devices, such as iPads and smart phones, over long periods of time. Currently this is not a ...

Dec 1

Categories: Child Development

Written By:
Dr Louise McCauley

GO

ADHD Over diagnosis: Chemical imbalance its a hypothesis not a fact

The author sees that there are many factors contributing to the over diagnosis of ADHD. In the United States, there are social, medical and parenting forces at play that contribute to more than 4.4 million children between the ages of 4 to 17 years old having an ADHD diagnosis and a dramatic ...

Oct 3

Categories: Academic Issues, Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD), ...

Written By:
Tammy M. Fontana, MS NCC CTRT Sex Therapist USA

GO

No Fear in Correcting Your Child's Sleep! Learn how to do it Right!

Don't let the fear of crying or bad stories put you off of sleep training one day longer. In my years of working with families often the "horror" stories of sleep come from the fact that there is a lot of inappropriate application of various sleep methods combined ...

Sep 19

Categories: Caregiver Issues / Stress, Child and/or Adolescent Issues, Child ...

Written By:

GO

Speaking the Language of Love to our Children

Communicating with our child can be a big challenge. As parents you are trying to get our children to do what we think they need to do in order to become competent and capable adults. Often our children have ideas of their own. One reason this is really challenging is that it takes 25 years to ...

Sep 7

Categories: Attachment Issues, Blended Family Issues, Child and/or Adolescent ...

Written By:

GO

Demystifying the process of change in Counselling- How you get better

Counselling seems to be a pretty mysterious process for most people.  Unless things are REALLY bad, most people don’t think about counselling or think it’s too expensive or are just not sure how it works. Usually counselling is a last resort rather than a first stop for getting ...

Aug 25

Categories: Abuse / Abuse Survivor Issues, Addictions, Adjusting to Change / Life ...

Written By:

GO
Page(s)12