International Panic Day

International Panic Day on 18th June 2016 serves as a reminder to all of us to step back and relax a bit. The folks who dedicate days to specific causes have actually assigned two official days annually to panic.  This is no doubt due to the fact that panic and stress are a common part of so ...

Jun 14

Categories: Adjusting to Change / Life Transitions, Anxiety, Fear, Panic issues, ...

Written By:
Dan Martin, MS Psych (Clinical), Registered Psychologist (Australia)

GO

Making the right choices

Life is stressful in modern times. Each one of us are multitasking to fit in the numerous demands of life daily. Often amidst the craziness of daily demands, life seems to spiral out control. We feel stressed, helpless, often wondering how we ended up where we are now.The good news is instead of ...

Jan 8

Categories: Career Development and Change, Happiness, Stress Management, ...

Written By:
Piyali Chakrabarti

GO

Control Anger before it Controls You

Anger is one of the basic human emotions characterized by intense feelings of being antagonized or wronged (APA, 2015). Anger can sometimes be good, serving as the necessary motivation to remedy a situation. However, excessive anger can be detrimental to both mental and physical health. It has a ...

Jul 13

Categories: Anger Management, Stress Management

Written By:
Piyali Chakrabarti

GO

Introduction to Animal Assisted Therapy (AAT)

Animal Assisted Therapy (AAT) is a goal directed intervention whereby a trained animal is incorporated into the therapeutic process, promoting the improvement of human’s physical, social, emotional and/or cognitive functioning. 1AAT is a therapeutic tool that can be utilized in the ...

Mar 16

Categories: Adjusting to Change / Life Transitions, Anger Management, Anxiety, ...

Written By:
Maureen Huang, MSW, AASW

GO

Staying With Intensity - What Hot Yoga and Therapy Have In Common

It’s Friday morning and I’m probably 30 minutes into my 1 hour Hot Hour Bikram Yoga class, which in the 15 years that I’ve been practicing on a weekly basis could be the 3648 time I’ve done this – and yet as I feel the heat emanating off my mat, feeling into my warrior ...

Dec 10

Categories: Emotional Intelligence, Mindfulness, Stress Management

Written By:
Anoushka Beh

GO

Get a Life by Destroying Stress

We all face stress in our lives. When stress kicks in, we may become vulnerable. We coop ourselves and refuse to talk about it. Depression may slip and slide in and make us feel physically and emotionally drained and tired. We may express our stressed in different ways. Some of us may choose to be ...

May 31

Categories: Stress Management

GO

Martyrdom Just Gets You Shot: Why Sacrifice for Family Isn't Always a ...

In my workshops on psychological well-being, there's one question that keeps popping up: "Should I still support my family? I already feel drained and stressed but I don't want to be a bad son/daughter."  The question typically comes with frustration, resignation, and not a ...

Oct 31

Categories: Dependency Problems, Family of Origin Issues / Codependency, Marital ...

Written By:
Kay Vardeleon

GO

Visual Journals To Lower Stress And Heal The Mind

The power of art to transform people’s lives is well known. Art has been used as a breakthrough technique to reach a patient’s deepest fears, and their most closely guarded emotions. By representing emotions wordlessly, a barrier is lowered, allowing patients to express things that they cannot bring themselves to say, either ...

May 13

Categories: Stress Management

GO

How nature's beauty can restore yourself mentally, physically, and ...

Over 200 years ago, William Wordsworth alluded to the idea that nature has the power to restore our weary hearts and minds. In his poem “Lines Composed a Few Miles above Tintern Abbey, On Revisiting the Banks of the Wye during a Tour, July 13, 1798”, he eloquently describes how the ...

May 4

Categories: Spirituality, Stress Management

Written By:
Brian Scott

GO

Benefits of Meditation and How to easily start Meditating

What is meditation? Does practicing meditation daily really bring some benefits? How does one meditate? My own experience with meditation began in the 70’s with the practice of transcendental meditation (TM), followed by Benson’s non-religious version of TM aimed at stress reduction ...

Oct 3

Categories: Mindfulness Meditation, Relaxation techniques, Stress Management

Written By:
Brian Scott

GO
Page(s)1