Looking for the Ideal Space for Group Therapy and Mental Health Workshops in Singapore? Click here for more information
Date: 8 Mar 2017
Cognitive-Behavioural Therapy for Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder
This one-day workshop will draw from several empirically-supported methods of treatment for post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD), including trauma-focused cognitive-behavioural therapy, cognitive processing therapy (CPT), and prolonged exposure (PE). This workshop will also emphasize the importance of the therapeutic relationship, especially in terms of creating a sense of safety for patients, and ultimately promoting empowerment. Techniques that will be described and demonstrated include cognitive restructuring, constructing narratives of the traumatic event(s), undergoing imaginal exposure exercises, and experiencing direct exposures to places and reminders of the trauma. Teaching methods will include clinical vignettes, didactics, role-playing, and video.
Participants will reinforce their knowledge of:
1. The diagnostic and clinical features of Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD), and its implications in treatment.
2. How to provide a strong rationale for the treatment methods to the patients
3. The step-by-step procedures in cognitive restructuring, narratives, imagery, and other exposure exercises.
4. Maximizing the therapeutic relationship via accurate empathy.
5. How to clinically manage comorbid problems such as patient self-harm and self-medication
Duration: 9am to 5pm
Venue: Kaizen 1, Learning Centre, Khoo Teck Puat Hospital 90 Yishun Central, Singapore 768828
*Psychology Matters Asia is not the organizer of the posted event. If you have any enquires, please direct them to the contact in the information.